top of page

Apprenticeships vs University: Navigating Your Path to Success

When it comes to post-secondary education, the decision between apprenticeships and university is one many young people face. But understanding the benefits of each, the career paths they lead to, and how they cater to different learning styles can help demystify this choice.


Apprenticeship VS University graphic

What is an Apprenticeship?


Apprenticeships are work-based training programmes designed to develop specific job skills. As an apprentice, you split your time between on-the-job training and studying towards a related qualification. Apprenticeships can span from Level 2 (equivalent to GCSEs) up to Level 7 (equivalent to a master's degree).


Benefits of Apprenticeships


Earn and Learn: Apprenticeships provide the opportunity to earn a wage while simultaneously gaining industry-specific qualifications. This income can support your living costs and allows you to gain financial independence.

Real-World Experience: Apprenticeships provide valuable hands-on experience from day one. This practical understanding can boost your employability and readiness to handle real-world challenges.

No Student Debt: As the government and your employer cover the cost of an apprenticeship, you can gain a qualification without the financial burden of student loans.

Tailored Support: Many apprenticeships offer one-on-one mentoring and continuous support throughout the training period, helping you to learn effectively and confidently.

Range of Opportunities: With apprenticeships available from Level 2 (equivalent to GCSEs) up to Level 7 (equivalent to a master's degree), there is a wide range of opportunities for further progression in your chosen field.


 

What is University Education?


University education, or higher education, provides academic and theoretical knowledge through a course of study, leading to a degree. Subjects range from humanities and social sciences to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) subjects.



Benefits of University Education


Broad Knowledge: Universities offer a deep dive into your chosen subject. You'll gain a comprehensive understanding of the field and develop your critical thinking and research skills.

Social Experience: University isn't just about the academics. It's also about personal growth, making lifelong friends, joining societies and clubs, and developing life skills that extend beyond the classroom.

Wide Range of Subjects: From Art History to Zoology, universities offer a diverse range of subjects, enabling you to study a field you're truly passionate about.

Global Perspectives: Many university programmes offer opportunities to study abroad or complete international internships, providing exposure to different cultures and global perspectives in your field.

Access to Further Studies: A university degree can open up the possibility of postgraduate study, allowing you to specialise further or pursue an academic career.


 

Duration of Each Path


The duration of apprenticeships and university education varies significantly. Apprenticeships can last anywhere from one to six years, depending on the level and complexity of the course. For example, an Intermediate Level 2 apprenticeship might last around one year, whereas a Higher Level 4 or Degree apprenticeship could take up to six years to complete.


In contrast, the duration of a university course is typically more straightforward. Undergraduate bachelor's degrees usually last three years in England, while integrated master's degrees or courses in medicine or veterinary science can extend to five or six years.


Structure


Apprenticeships follow a 'work and learn' structure. As an apprentice, you'll spend 80% of your time at work, learning on the job, and the remaining 20% at a training centre or studying remotely. This way, you can directly apply what you're learning to real-world situations, reinforcing and enhancing your understanding.


Universities, on the other hand, provide a more academic environment. You'll spend your time attending lectures, seminars, and tutorials, undertaking independent study, or completing assignments and exams. Many courses also offer options to undertake work placements, study abroad, or carry out research projects.


Fees and Funding


The cost of an apprenticeship is covered by your employer and the government. If your employer pays the apprenticeship levy (a tax on employers with a wage bill over £3 million), they will use this to cover the cost. If not, the government funds 95% of the training costs, with your employer contributing the remaining 5%. As an apprentice, you'll earn a wage and won't need to pay any training costs or tuition fees yourself.


University fees, however, are paid by the student. Most students take out a tuition fee loan to cover the cost, which they pay back once they're earning above a certain threshold. Currently, tuition fees for undergraduate courses for UK students are capped at £9,250 per year.


Entry Requirements


Entry requirements for apprenticeships vary depending on the level. For an Intermediate Level 2 apprenticeship, employers typically ask for two or more GCSEs. For an Advanced Level 3 apprenticeship, you'll usually need five GCSEs at grades 9 to 4, including English and Maths, or have completed an Intermediate apprenticeship.


University entry requirements depend on the course and university. Most degree courses require at least two A-levels or equivalent qualifications, along with five GCSEs at grades 9 to 4. Some courses, like medicine, law, or highly competitive universities, may have higher entry requirements.


 

Career Outcomes


The career outcomes for both apprenticeships and university education can be equally fruitful, but in different ways.


Apprenticeships often lead directly to job roles, with the UK Government reporting that 90% of apprentices stay in employment after completing their training. They can also serve as steppingstones to higher qualifications or managerial roles within your chosen industry.

On the other hand, university graduates also see significant benefits. A study by the Department for Education in 2019 revealed that UK graduates earn 28% more than non-graduates over their lifetime. University education can also open doors to postgraduate studies and academia.


The Bottom Line of Apprenticeships vs University


The decision of apprenticeship vs university isn't a matter of one being better than the other. It's about identifying which path aligns with your interests, learning style, and career aspirations.


At GLP Training, we offer a range of apprenticeships to help kickstart your career. If, after reading this article, you're interested in exploring our offerings, please click the link below. You can browse our courses and apply directly if one catches your interest. Remember, your journey to success begins with choosing the right path for you.



15 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page